You are not your circumstance
- It is important to recognize that negative situations and circumstances are something we may experience. We are in a negative situation; not of it.
- Externalize negative situations, instead of internalizing a negative self-assessment (punishing yourself; excessive guilt or shame; feeling unworthy; becoming depressed)
Recognize how you survived and may have even overcome a past negative situation.
- Value your strengths and qualities that have enabled you to get through
- Give yourself credit for having healed and gotten to a better place
Focus on ways to cope, get through and overcome a current negative situation
- Adopt a problem solving attitude and seek possible solutions and resources
- Recognize when a situation is temporary, so that you realize you will not get stuck
- Aim for and look forward to what you wish to experience after the negative situation ends
Take back your power over the negative circumstance
- See what lessons you might have or can learned
- See the possible opportunities within and beyond the situation
- Recognize or assign meaning for this occurrence in your life
Appreciate ways that the situation did not destroy you
Focus on and value what you still have, in spite of the negative circumstance