- Does it seem as though you never have enough time?
- Do you feel constantly rushed and under pressure?
- Do you end up being last on your own "to do" list?
- Does it feel as though time is passing you by?
- Do the electronic devices in your life seem to be in control of your time?
If you answered, "yes" to any of the above questions, you are not in control of your schedule. In fact, you have handed over your power to others and their demands or to things, that take up your time. Therefore, it is not surprising that you feel like you can never catch up, let alone feel ahead of the curve. In other words, you are living your life in a reactive mode, as opposed to being proactive. This is a state in which your happiness, sense of accomplishment and potential are being diminished.
There are ways you can change this state of dissatisfaction and disappointment and gain a sense of feeling in control, self-determined and inner peace. This can result in increased happiness and life satisfaction. It starts with a change of mind and attitude about yourself and your well being, as follows:
- Recognize that time and technology are at your disposal and within your control.
- Take time out by turning off devices, such as television, computers, and other electronic devices.
- Put yourself "first" on your "to do" list and make time for yourself.
- Take time out to slow down and rest in order to restore your energy.
- Engage in quiet, reflective activities, such as self-soothing and mindfulness.
- Set goals for yourself; create an action plan; and get started.