Relationship Repair: Effective Apologies



Happy and Healthy U:
 Relationship Repair Series


The ability to provide an effective apology goes a long way in re-establishing relationship harmony and resolving conflict. Let's improve this important interpersonal communication skill to achieve happier and healthier relationships.



Key Elements of an Effective Apology


·         Authentic expression of remorse
          Ex. “I’m sorry”   or “I apologize”


·         Acknowledgment of responsibility for the behavior 

          Ex. “I was wrong to have yelled at you”



·         Expression of empathy, regarding the impact on the other

Ex. “I realize that my actions embarrassed and hurt you”


·         Making Amends (Balance is Needed Here)

Ex. “How can I make this up to you”


·         Promise not to repeat the behavior

Ex. “I assure you the in the future, I will express any concerns to you privately”


·         Request  forgiveness


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Care of Me in 2023: Healthy Self-Love

Happier Holidays: Get Ready to Turn Down the Stress and Turn Up the Joy

Happiness in Your Career Leads to Success